Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Basic Recruit Course

Hello and welcome to my blog

Over the next couple of weeks I will, time and conditions permitting be detailing my basic recruit training course with the RAF Reserves.

Hopefully my friends and family will be able to keep up with my daily life and aspiring reserves will get a taste of what the training is like.

On Friday the 13th of April I will be attending the RAF Basic Recruit Training Course for RAF Reservists at RAF Halton near Aylesbury. The BRTC is a slimmed down version of the course all full time RAF entrants complete and is taken over 15 days.

I've already completed three training weekends with 606sqn at RAF Benson covering General Service Knowledge, drill, kit issue and preparing for the BRTC at Halton.

During my weekends at Benson I have met the other recruits who will be at Halton with me and they are a fantastic bunch of people from all walks of life and all ages but with a shared interest and passion for the RAF Reserves. The initial 12 is now down to 9 due to a mixture of lack of fitness and people dropping out, hopefully the remaining 9 will all be there at the end to move onto the next phase together.

So I think I'm all set to go, I have got all my kit together, read up on my GSK, done some fitness (although never enough) and I can't wait to get going.

Thanks to lastminute.com for sponsoring my training and thanks to my family for giving me up for 2 weeks. I know how hard it will be for them.

Dave (AC Beatley)

19 comments:

  1. Absolutely fascinating read as I have my course in January ... thanks for taking the time and making the effort to write this blog. I have no doubt I won't be the last to study your every word. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Peter. Good luck for your course. What Sqn are you joining?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 611 Sqn ... all attested now and will be there next weekend ... can't wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out of interest - how's life in the Reserves treating you since this blog? Is it what you hoped it would be? Have you settled in to your new split-life OK? Would love to know. Cheers, Peter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just adding this comment so it will notify me when you reply ... noticed the tick box after I'd already clicked Publish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers Dave great read a good insight to what's ahead

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great read and really useful thanks. Just waiting for my medical dates for 606!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Regiment. Any advise having been through the whole process!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi David, you still at 606 Sqn?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. On 606 Sqn, RAF Halton end of July. You on Facebook as I would like to ask you a couple of questions. You they for the June training weekend?

      Delete
  11. Hi David, I just would like to say thank you for taking the time to write this blog. I am now at the stage where I am waiting for the phase 1 training schedule (done the tests, interview, attestation, vetting, medical, & PJFT), and the info here is a good heads-up for the BRTC. See you at Benson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When do you start at 606 Sqn, RAF Benson?

      Delete
    2. Hi Andy, There wasn't enough of us in our batch to start Phase 1 so had to wait for a while for more people to be called in, but hope to be back in Benson next month.

      Delete
  12. Good Luck Jun, hopefully you can get your Phase 1 done soon and off to Halton.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi what is the training weekends for basic is it Fri Sat sun

    ReplyDelete